A Guide to Being Twenty

Dear Chummy,

HAPPY GEORGIA DAY !!!

Hooray! You made it to twenty!

Twenty is such a weird age, you're no longer a teenager but you'll do the same things you did last year when you were nineteen. I mean it is a big deal, twenty is a milestone but it's not quite twenty-one is it?

In all honesty, being twenty hasn't been good to me - I feel like I haven't really done anything exciting since turning the big two zero and I don't really have anything exciting planned for the last six months either. But life is 100%, without a shadow of a doubt exactly what you make it so I think you'll do twenty better than I have so far and guess what here's a guide!

Image from HelloGiggles.com

Step One:
This is the first year of pure adulthood, start it right. Declutter, have a proper good sort out, and plan some stuff, think about the future (but not too much, it's scary).

Step Two:
Go out and meet people, someone, anyone. Make new friends, do tinder dates.. they seem super scary but I dare you. If you go on one, I'll go on one too.

Step Three:
I know I've just said go on dates but don't worry about your love life. It's not worth it, focus on loving you. Baby, you should go and love yourself.

Step Four:
Travel. See a new country and experience the culture, properly. This one should be easy, we already have two new countries planned and I am determined to be able to experience it properly, maybe actually go out for a traditional Norwegian or Spanish meal rather than jut Mcdonalds haha!

Step Five:
Be hopeful and ambitious. Dream big and work for those dreams, the future is so unknown and something that could seem impossible and unrealistic now may turn out to be completely possible in the future.

Step Six:
Read lots, not just books but the news, articles and journals. Stay educated and aware of the world around you. There is always something to read.

Step Seven:
Drink. It is crucial that you start having a casual drink in the evening (maybe not every evening) but just a glass of wine or a gin & lemonade (not sure how you feel about tonic so I played it safe) to chill out at the end of the day. You'll be feeling like an adult in no time.

Step Eight:
Start thinking about money. It's nice to have right, figure out your finances and have a plan - especially as you're going to move and uni it up.

Step Nine:
Look after your health, physical and mental - life's harder if you're feeling crooked. Eat properly, half self-care days, see the damn doctor if you're feeling unwell and if they're a wanker don't take it to heart, seek some online advice and comfort from pals.

Step Ten:
Don't beat yourself up. Everybody makes mistakes (everybody has those days) and being 20 is all about getting things wrong and thats ok. Everybody tries to be a better them, and everybody gives up after two days. Eventually though, as we get older, we change little by little and don't really notice that it's happening but we look back and we think fuck I'm actually doing okay. So give yourself a break if life gets hard, you deserve it.

And that's my very adult-like guide to being twenty. Realistically, I think it's gone a lot different, but I do think I've come up with some pretty good points that I should probably take note of myself.

But here's to you turning 20!! *clinks glasses and shouts hip hip hooray!*
I hope this year brings you the greatest things, I really do and I can't wait to (hopefully) experience them all with you. I love you lots and lots and wish I could have been there with you, wearing Christmas jumpers and eating chocolate fingers but alas, life.


bye bye,
Chelsea xx


No comments:

Post a Comment